Having a high quality deck built in your back yard can be a fantastic home improvement that allows you and your family to really make the most of the fine weather we often enjoy during the spring, summer, and fall in Toronto. However, if you are planning to construct a new deck in your back yard this year, you need to consider the local building codes at the design stage. Failure to do so could lead to problems in the future and unnecessary expense.
Why You Should Hire Deck Builders Who Are Familiar with Local Building Codes
You may be tempted to build your own deck or to hire a firm that charges significantly less than the competition but has little real world experience. However, following either of these paths could cause you unnecessary grief in the future.
- Possibility of a Fine – If your deck is built contrary to local building codes it will not be possible to obtain a permit for the work and to have it inspected and passed as safe by the local municipality once it has been completed. Even if the deck in question is built correctly, you could be found to be in contravention of the local building code and required to pay a fine if you did not obtain a permit before the work started. Rather than run the risk of being financially penalized, you should hire a team of deck builders who know how to do everything by the book.
- Interruption to Work – In the event that your builders should fail to follow local guidelines, it is possible that the local council will insist that all work is halted until any faults have been corrected. This could cost you a lot of time and money and is a situation you should avoid.
- Removal of Your Deck – In a worst case scenario, if your deck is not designed and constructed in accordance will local building codes, you could be asked to remove it completely. This would obviously involve a major financial loss and unless you have a watertight contract with your deck builders, you may not be able to recover any of the money that you spent on the project.
- Safety Concerns – A deck that is improperly designed or constructed may pose a safety risk to you and other members of your household. Regardless of whether you are penalized by the local authorities, this is a situation that you will of course wish to avoid at all costs. To avoid any such safety issues, only deal with reputable deck builders in Toronto who have a proven track record.
- Durability Issues – If your deck is poorly constructed, there is a very good chance that it will deteriorate over the coming months and years, far more quickly than would otherwise have been the case. To protect your investment, insist that all plans are approved by the relevant authorities and that final payment is not made until the work has been signed off by local officials.
If you do not want to run the risk of contravening local building codes, you should hire the very best deck builders you can afford. With a track record second to none and a highly competitive pricing structure, we can design and build the perfect deck for your back yard at a reasonable cost and ensure that it complies with all relevant local regulations. Call today to discuss your requirements and to request an estimate for the work you would like to have done. We have helped many local businesses and homeowners in the past and would be delighted to design and build a new deck for you.