Building a deck is a smart move no matter how you look at it. From a purely practical standpoint you’re adding perhaps as much as 20% more usable floor space to your home. From a social standpoint you’re announcing your arrival as a serious entertainment destination and from an economic standpoint a deck addition will return a higher percentage of your investment than just about any other home improvement project.
What Our Deck Builders See in Their Crystal Ball for the Coming Year
If you’re contemplating adding a deck to your Toronto area home you’ll want to know what’s going on in the industry these days that could influence the look and feel of your new deck. Here are some of the top trends our deck builders see on the horizon.
- The deck oasis – Built-in planters of all shapes and sizes will find their way into deck design in the coming year as deck owners look to more fully integrate their decks into the surrounding environment. Long planters will be used to delineate different areas of the deck while plant boxes will add lively accents to corners and stairways. Large, free-standing plants will also be used as a compliment to the fixed planters and will be moved about to create different looks.
- The multi-level deck – Our deck builders have seen this trend picking up steam in recent years and expect it to become a full-fledged movement in 2016. Multi-level decks break up the tyranny of the large flat space and allow you to handle each area as a separate ‘room’ with its own focal points, layout and uses. One level may contain an outdoor kitchen while another will be heavy on comfortable chairs for relaxed conversation.
- Curves are in – As deck designs have become more sophisticated the rectangle has fallen out of favor. In 2016 we expect to see more designs that incorporate curved or circular elements and it won’t matter if the deck is small or a multi-level, large scale affair. Homeowners today expect their deck to be more than just a platform where folks stand around with a brew and a burger. They want their deck to wow visitors and curves are a sure-fire way to do that.
- High-end lighting – Outdoor lighting has moved past the tiki torch and come of age in the past decade. As a result the trend of bringing state of the art area and mood lighting to the deck will reach a fever pitch in 2016. Our deck builders anticipate lessons learned from lighting pool areas, ground level patios and outdoor kitchens will be applied to the deck in 2016 with stunning effect.
- Composites – People are seeking long-term value from their decks these days and they’re finding it in composite decking materials. Composites are far less susceptible to splintering or cracking than natural wood and never have to be painted or stained. They’ll cost a little more but they’ll last longer and require only a fraction of the maintenance. In the coming year we expect to see a surge in decks being built from composites.
A custom deck will enrich your domestic experience while adding long-term value to your home and Toronto Custom Decks is the GTA’s number 1 custom deck design and construction company. We use state of the art design techniques and the finest quality materials to fashion eye-opening decks that endure due to the quality of their craftsmanship. If you’re contemplating a deck addition in the coming year give us a call on 647-878-8780 and talk to one of our expert deck builders. They’ll be happy to discuss possibilities with you.