There are two types of deck: those that are used, and those that aren’t. The difference between the two? Good deck design. A well-designed deck not only meets your lifestyle requirements but also blends seamlessly with your home and landscape. It’s a welcoming space to relax, entertain and crack open a few cold beers mid heat wave. Plantscaping is the best and most organic way to ensure your new deck looks and feels like it was always meant to be there.
How to Enhance Your Deck Design by Plantscaping
Follow our Plantscaping guide to make your deck the toast of Toronto.
- Start with What You Have: Successful plantscaping and deck design takes its cue from your current landscape. Use your home and garden as inspiration for your deck’s colour and textural theme. But there are no strict rules here—to create a cohesive and appealing habitat, you don’t need an exact match. Choosing colours from the same spectrum is enough to create visual panache. Size matters too —the bigger the space, the bigger your plants and containers can be.
- Choose the Right Plants: Once you’ve got your overall theme down, it’s time to get practical: pick plants that love living both in containers and in our unique Toronto Hardiness rating is key here—plants that are rated Zone 6 (Canadian), Zone 5 (USA) or below will thrive in Toronto. Also consider your deck’s own microclimate—the levels of sun, shade and wind you enjoy year round will dictate the types of plants you pick.
- Choose the Right Containers: Weather and exposure will also determine your container choice. Many a pot falls foul of the wind—so avoid top-heavy containers, especially on raised decks. Even sturdier are planters with integrated seating— add wheels and you have the double benefit of deck protection and location flexibility. And if space is a challenge, make use of the vertical by planting on railings, trellises, hanging baskets and pedestals.
- Make it Look Pretty: Now we’ve got the practical stuff nailed, the fun begins. For maximum effect, combine different colours, textures and heights together to make eye-catching container bouquets. Plus by mixing plants of varying lifespans and seasonal patterns, you’ll create year-round visual delight. For added texture use gravel, glass, seashells and other materials as pot fillers. And for seamless cohesion with your garden, ensure you plant around your deck edges too.
- Experiment with Layout: You can have the most beautiful plants in the most exquisite containers, but if they’re in the wrong places, your space just won’t feel right. The beauty of a potted garden is that it’s flexible, allowing you to experiment with endless configurations. For real visual impact, create dynamic focal points by mixing and matching containers together.
- Put Your Lifestyle First: When it comes to plantscaping, the possibilities are endless—it’s easy to get carried away. But in the end, deck design is meant to fit in with your lifestyle. If you’re a keen gardener, go wild and make your deck a horticulturalist’s heaven. But if your deck is mainly for entertaining and relaxation, stick with low maintenance plants like succulents. Remember, whatever your tastes and lifestyle, you’ll find greenery to fit it.
If your deck feels out of place, plantscaping is the ultimate way to make it work with your landscape.
And as Toronto’s premier landscaping and deck design specialists, Toronto Custom Decks are the experts to call for your plantscaping needs. Call us on 647-878-8780 today to find out how we can help you.