Custom decks can make a beautiful addition to your back yard. Install one in yours, and you’ll have a comfortable space to sit and enjoy Toronto’s summer weather and entertain guests. However, if it becomes infiltrated by pests, the party will be over. In order to keep your deck as peaceful as possible, follow these tips.
How to Stop Pests from Getting into Custom Decks?
Are you wondering how to turn your garden into a pest-free zone? Decking can sometimes provide a good hiding place for them, but it doesn’t have to. Read on to find out the best ways to keep pests away from your decking.
- Use the Right Materials – The type of material you choose for custom decks can have a considerable impact on the likelihood of it getting an infestation. Choose a bug-resistant material, such as composite material or pressure-treated wood, and you’ll increase your chances of being termite-free.
- Fill the Gaps – Any gaps underneath your deck present an opportunity for rodents like opossums, rats, squirrels and skunks to get in and create nest in the warm, dark space. Once they’re in there, you could end up having to pull the whole thing apart to eradicate the problem. To prevent such a catastrophe, put in a skirting board around the bottom to cover any gaps between the decking and the ground.
- Use Mesh – Mesh can be a great tool to combat insects and other pests, which is why it’s commonly-used for bug screens. Consider installing some on the underside of your decking boards in other to stop any critters from being able to crawl through.
- Install Lighting – This may seem counter-active, as light can attract insects, but if you use the right kind, they’ll actually keep them away. You can use a bug zapper light to get rid of them, but if you’re looking for a less lethal and more subtle option, get yourself some yellow bug lights. These bulbs have a lower ‘colour temperature’ than standard ones, and therefore don’t attract insects. They’ll provide the same illumination for you though, and will also give your deck more ambience.
- Get Rid of Water – It’s hard to enjoy sitting outside on a summer’s evening when mosquitoes are buzzing around you and you’re having to constantly swat them away to avoid getting bitten. To make your deck a more pleasant area for you to relax in, you need to make it less appealing to mosquitoes. The best way to do that is to eradicate any standing water, as it provides a breeding place for them. If your yard is prone to puddles, fill the problem areas with extra soil, rocks, or any kind of decoration you like. Also, use a drainage system to draw water away from the decking area. That way, those pesky bugs will be more likely to go somewhere else.
- Seal It – It goes without saying that the wood that’s used for custom decks needs to be treated before being installed. If you don’t, the sun, rain and varying Toronto temperatures will cause the wood to warp, mildew to form, and cracks to appear. All of these factors create the perfect environment for pests, so use an initial coating of sealant and be sure to maintain it by topping it up regularly.
Protect Your custom Decks
Custom decks can add value to any home and make a garden a more functional, enjoyable space, but that’s only if they’re well-maintained. Besides, the last thing anyone wants is to have to call in pest control. Follow the advice above, and you won’t have any issues.